MHS Application and Requirements
Get the competitive edge for your healthcare career. Review the admission requirements and application process thoroughly to help ensure your application is complete and processed expeditiously.
Touro Nevada is here for you, wherever you are.
Touro Nevada is focused on educating the best and brightest to join the courageous healthcare providers that are seeing us through these unique and challenging times. We are ready to start your new class this summer -- online or in-person -- as dictated by the healthcare needs of our communities and world.
Communication with the School
We are working remotely but you can now communicate with us through Zoom Video conferencing.
You are encouraged to email your Program Manager if you’d like to schedule a Zoom appointment. The Program Manager will schedule the Zoom meeting during regular office hours and provide you a password. To schedule, please contact Elsa at email@example.com.
View the specific educational standards and personal qualifications you'll need for consideration of your application.
Earned a cumulative and science GPA of 2.90 or higher.
Completed the following coursework with a grade of C or better:
- 4 semester credits of Biology/Zoology with Lab
- 4 semester credits of Inorganic Chemistry
- 4 semester credits of Organic Chemistry and/or Biochemistry with Lab
- 4 semester credits of Math/Computer Science
- 2 courses of College English or TOEFL iBT of 80
For the July 2021 cohort, 3.0 GPA cumulative and science GPA will be required. However, 2.9 GPAs may still be considered and given a conditional acceptance.
Obtained a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education prior to matriculation.
Submit two letters of recommendation:
- One pre-professional/academic committee summary letter; or one letter from a practicing healthcare provider.
- One letter from a college science professor.
Letters of recommendation should be sent directly by the recommenders on letterhead and must include contact information.
Recommendations are also accepted via Virtual Evaluations and Interfolio.
Hold U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status at the time of application.
Have a strong desire to attend medical, physician assistant, podiatry, optometry, dentistry, pharmacy, or another professional school.
Be able to handle the rigors and challenges of the basic science courses of medical school that are part of the MHS curriculum.
- Please note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure all admission requirements are met for the medical or professional school they plan to apply for following the MHS program.
Touro Nevada recognizes this may be a stressful time for prospective students. You may be facing challenges such as not being able to take courses in-person or taking standardized tests as scheduled, which makes it hard to meet admission requirements. We are closely monitoring these issues and have addressed your concerns by making temporary revisions to admission requirements for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle. Please review the COVID-19 FAQs below and contact your program manager, Elsa Macias, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions. Thank you for your continued interest. Stay safe!
Yes, we will accept Pass/Fail grades. Grade equivalency is determined by the originating institution. This may be a concern for applicants who are taking courses to improve their GPA. Thus, the “passing grade” would not positively impact the competitiveness of the application.
We will accept online coursework for the duration that institutions remain closed and are unable to offer in-person classes due to the pandemic.
Yes. Not having test scores may impact the competitiveness of your application.
For the TUN PA program, 500 direct patient care hours are still required and must be completed prior to starting the PA program the following year. We recommend completing as many hours as possible before starting the MHS program. For the TUN DO program, shadowing hours are still required and must be completed prior to starting the DO program the following year. We recommend completing as many hours as possible before starting the MHS program.
All final transcripts and conferred degree must be received to meet admission requirements. All incoming students who do not have final transcripts and conferred degree submitted prior to acceptance, will be closely monitored and will maintain their conditional acceptance status until the document(s) is received.
Important deadlines in your application process.
How to Apply
If you meet the minimum program requirements, you are welcome to apply by following these steps.
- You must submit a completed PostBacCAS application and/or Touro Nevada application with a non-refundable application fee of $75 as well as the following items. Applicants who submit the PostBacCAS application will have the Touro application fee waived. Completed applications with the below materials will be reviewed starting November.
- A personal statement responding to the following: How can the MHS program help you reach your goals?
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
- A signed copy of the MHS Technical Standards .
- All official transcripts from each institution you have attended must be submitted, including undergraduate and graduate, if you did not submit a current PostBacCAS, or 2018-2020 AACOMAS or CASPA application to TUN. All foreign transcripts must be professionally evaluated by an agency, such as the World Education Services or agency approved by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- GPA calculator for your application to be reviewed unless you have submitted a PostBacCAS, AACOMAS or CASPA application for the 2018-2019 or 2019-2020 application cycles.
Mail all supporting documents to:
Touro University Nevada
Office of Admissions
Attn: Medical Health Sciences
874 American Pacific Drive
Henderson, NV 89014
Applicants can email the Office of Admissions or call (702) 777-1750 to verify supporting documents have been received.
Upon receipt of required documents, the Admissions Committee will review and determine which candidates will be accepted into the program.
- There are 60 students admitted each year into the MHS program.
Touro Nevada – College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM) Grade Replacement Policy:
If you are enrolled in the Medical Health Science (MHS) Program, your Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine applicant GPA will be revised and your grade replacement will be approved using the final attempt at repeated courses for the subsequent application cycle. This is only done for students enrolled in the MHS Program. As an MHS applicant, you must meet all admission requirements prior to matriculation into the program and adhere to the AACOMAS Repeat Coursework Policy when submitting your AACOMAS application. The recalculation will occur after you submit your AACOMAS application.
If you're successful in joining the Touro Nevada family, you will be contacted by telephone and/or email and are required to:
- Submit the $500 deposit by the required date.
- Submit immunization records prior to matriculation including health and physical examinations.
- Pass a Level I criminal background check.
- Applicants to the Medical Health Sciences program should be aware that any felony convictions may impact the graduate’s eligibility for certification and credentialing.
- Provide proof of health insurance coverage.
Failure to comply with the above requirements by the date stated in your admissions invitation letter will result in revocation of the admission invitation.
MHS Common Questions
You will find answers to some of the most common questions about the program. For answers to common questions on the general application process, please visit Admissions & Aid.
Each MHS application pool is unique but our average undergraduate cumulative and science GPA of our last entering class was 3.28 and 3.16, respectively.
Yes, the application process is on a rolling basis.
- Rolling admissions signifies that applications are reviewed as they arrive through the Centralized Application System and/or Touro Nevada admissions application.
- The committee review selection begins after applications are verified and will continue until all the accepted positions are filled.
- Once the available positions are filled and the waitlist is maximized, the application review will end. This may take place well before the stated deadline(s) due to the volume of applicants.
No, the MHS program does not accept transfer student credits.
No, they are not required, but it is recommended you take the GRE or MCAT exam prior to matriculating into the program to gauge where you stand for future program applications. However, it is not recommended you take it before you’re ready.
No, but all MHS courses are taught by the same professors that teach first-year medical students, including Anatomy, Immunology, Medical Biochemistry, and Physiology.
Employment during the MHS Program is strongly discouraged, since this will interfere with your study time, and focus.
Doing well in the MHS program can demonstrate your ability to successfully handle an academically rigorous load, show evidence of recent engagement in an academic setting, and increase your MCAT or GRE score while getting to know our faculty and entire campus community. The MHS program can prepare you for a variety of competitive professional programs at various institutions.
All MHS students who meet the admission requirements for the DO or PA program will be invited to interview.
Questions? Contact Us
Disclaimer: Admission requirements are subject to change.