Sherli Koshy-Chenthittayil, PHD
My name is Sherli Koshy-Chenthittayil (she/her). I am a data scientist with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness. My area of expertise is applied mathematics, specifically in, biology and education. During my Postdoctoral training and Ph.D., I utilized mathematical models to answer biology and education related questions. I am passionate about advocating for Student with Disabilities (SWDs) in STEM higher education using the tools of QuantCrit/DisCrit. As a teacher in both higher education and K-12, I have designed group projects as well as mathematics trivia games to increase inquiry and class participation.
- PhD in Mathematical Sciences (2017)- Clemson University, SC, USA
- Bachelors in Mathematics Education (2006)- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India
- Masters in Mathematics (2005)- Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India
- Archambault, L.; Koshy-Chenthittayil, S.; Thompson, A.; Dongari-Bagtzoglou, A.; Laubenbacher, R.; & Mendes, P. (2021). Understanding Lactobacillus paracasei and Streptococcus oralis biofilm interactions through agent-based modeling. mSphere 6(6) https://doi.org/10.1128/mSphere.00875-21
- Koshy-Chenthittayil, S.; Mendes, P; Laubenbacher R.L. (2021). Optimization of Agent-Based Models Through Coarse-Graining: A Case Study in Microbial Ecology. Letters In Biomathematics, 8(1), 167-178
- Koshy-Chenthittayil, S.; Archambault, L.; Senthilkumar, D.; Laubenbacher, R.; Mendes, P.; Dongari-Bagtzoglou, A. (2021) Agent Based Models of Polymicrobial Biofilms and the Microbiome—A Review. Microorganisms, 9, 417. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms9020417
- Koshy-Chenthittayil, S.; Dimitrova, E.; Jenkins E.W.; Dean, B.C. (2021). A Computational Framework for Finding Parameter Sets Associated with Chaotic Dynamics. In Silico Biology- vol. 14, no. 1-2, pp. 41-51, https://content.iospress.com/articles/in-silico-biology/isb200476
- Koshy-Chenthittayil, S. & Dimitrova, E. (2020). From Chaos to Permanence Using Control Theory. Advances in Mathematical Sciences, 85-106.
- Morales-Hernandez, M.D.; Farfan Dsouza, N.; Koshy-Chenthittayil, S. (2021). Biographical essays as an effective tool to engage International students in American College Mathematics. (Submitted)
- Monica D. Morales-Hernandez; Sherli Koshy-Chenthittayil; Pamela E. Harris; Alicia Prieto Langarica, and Melissa Gutiérrez González (2020). Using 2020 spring student experience data to inform future course planning. MAA MathValues Blog. https://www.mathvalues.org/masterblog/using-2020-spring-student-experience-data-to-inform-future-course-planning
- Sun, M.; Koshy-Chenthittayil, S.; & Farfan D’Souza, N. (2020). Quantitative Medicine and Reflection on Summer Research in Mathematical Biology. Harvard Educational Review, 90(2), 322-330.
- Koshy-Chenthittayil, S. & Farfan Dsouza, N. (2009). The Access and Equity for Students with Disabilities (SWD) in STEM Higher Education. PacRim 2019 Conference Proceedings. Published by Center on Disability Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa. https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/69320
- Recipient of a 2022 Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) Service Award for work on the AWM Playing Cards Project Management Committee https://awm-math.org/awards/awm-service-award/awm-service-award-2022/
- Recipient of UConn Health Postdoctoral Travel Grant 2018, 2020.
- Awarded the Clemson Mathematics Department Outstanding Citizen award (2017)
- Association for Women In Mathematics (2013- present)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2012-present)
- Mathematical Association of America (2019-present)
Data Analyst -OIE, Touro University, Nevada (2022- present)
- Advise faculty, student and affiliate investigators on research design and analytical approaches to optimize research study quality
a. Develop and present educational materials on research-related topics as needed
- Provide descriptive and inferential data analysis for a diversity of projects:
a. Institutional-level information (e.g., institutional research, assessment, planning and accreditation)
b. Biomedical, health-related and educational research
- Provide advising, editing or co-authorship on
a. Scientific presentations and manuscripts for professional journals
b. Reports that effectively detail and summarize results
Postdoctoral Fellow | Center for Quantitative Medicine, UConn Health | Aug 2017-July 2022
- Project: “Control of heterogeneous microbial communities using model-based multi-objective optimization”
- Collaborated on an interdisciplinary NIH funded project with microbiologists and mathematicians.
- Created agent-based models and to examine a multi-species bacterial biofilm of bacteria.
- Applied optimization techniques to steer the model to desired objectives.
- Extension of existing model to include fungal species which transition from spherical to filamentous form.
- Extensive use of Java and R to accomplish the task.
- Project: “Dynamic connectivity in neural networks engaged for emotion regulation” | Aug 2017-June 2018
- Collaborated in a NIH funded project with two teams of neuroscientists and mathematicians.
- Created a mathematical model for fMRI (functional MRI) data to discern patterns of emotion regulation.
- Extensive use of MATLAB and R to create the model.
Teaching Assistant |Clemson University, SC | Jan 2014-May 2017
- Taught Statistics for Engineers (Jan 2017-May 2017) (3 credit course, class size: 34) as Graduate Teacher of Record
- Taught Calculus I (Jan 2016- Dec 2016) (4 credit course, average class size 44) as Graduate Teacher of Record
- Graded and provided detailed solutions for assignments in Calculus I, Multivariable Calculus, Numerical Methods for Engineers, Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra as a Teaching Assistant
Founder and Manager | Koshy Tutorial, Kerala, India | June 2006-Aug 2012
- Honed Grade 6-12 students’ skill set in the preparation for State, ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education) and CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) exams
- Taught Calculus I and II, Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics to engineering students from universities across India namely Cochin University, Kerala University, Mahatma Gandhi University, Karunya University and Anna University
- Coached students appearing for the National level Engineering Entrance Examination.
- Enhanced students’ academic achievement by clarifying learning problems and providing further practice from different textbooks.
Visiting Professor | B.C.M. College, Kerala, India | Sep 2007-Dec 2007
- Conducted courses in Linear Algebra, Differential equations, Conic sections, Abstract algebra for graduate and undergraduate students with average class sizes of 30.
- Provided support for the mathematics department when the college applied for N.A.A.C (National Assessment and Accreditation Council, India) accreditation by designing the presentation on the Department.