This graduate program has two tracks that prepare the registered nurse as either a graduate-level nurse educator or family nurse practitioner. The learner-centered coursework emphasizes the application of evidence to clinical or education practice. The MSN courses provide the nurse with the foundation to practice in an advanced nursing capacity and continue academic study at the doctoral level if desired. This program is designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in nursing and are licensed as registered nurses. The online program runs year-round with three trimesters per calendar year. Short-term on-campus clinical intensives are required during the FNP clinical trimesters. Awarded a Master of Science in Nursing degree with specialty Family Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Educator.
The graduate will be able to:
- Analyze and synthesize knowledge from nursing and related sciences to design and deliver advanced, ethical and evidenced based clinical prevention and population care and services for diverse populations in a variety of care settings.
- Evaluate healthcare policy, regulatory, legal, economic and sociocultural environments to advocate for patients and affect change in the healthcare system.
- Apply organizational and systems leadership concepts to function as a leader and change agent in one’s nursing specialty.
- Contribute to the development of new knowledge within their specialty area by identifying gaps and disparities in available evidence and formulating research questions to meet the identified knowledge and practice needs.
- Function as a leader while collaborating in inter and intra-disciplinary teams to optimize patient and population health outcomes.
- Create a professional development plan to promote the personal and professional growth of oneself and others that fosters implementation of best practices to ensure optimal patient outcomes.
- Evaluate processes and systems for continuous quality improvement across the care continuum in a variety of settings.
- Participate in development and evaluation of informatics and healthcare technologies for appropriate integration into practice to contribute to enhanced patient safety and care outcomes.