To be considered for acceptance in the Physician Assistant Studies program, applicants must have completed all of the following requirements prior to applying:
- Have a bachelor’s degree conferred from a regionally accredited university (or the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree for candidates who graduated overseas). Applicants who are still in progress of conferring/completing their bachelor degree program will not be considered for admission.
- Must have a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 2.75
- Have completed the following pre-requisite coursework with a grade of C or better:
Pre-requisite Science Courses
8 semester hours of Human Anatomy and Physiology
4 semester hours of Inorganic Chemistry
4 semester hours of Organic Chemistry
3 semester hours of Biochemistry
3 semester hours of Microbiology
*Three semester units in general psychology and three semester units in statistics are also recommended.
- All pre-requisite science courses must be completed within the past five years with the exception of organic and inorganic chemistry.All the pre-requisite courses should reflect in your CASPA primary application as complete. Students who are currently enrolled in pre-requisite courses will not be considered for admission.
- Have health care work and/or volunteer experiences that reflect a proper motivation for and commitment to the profession.
- Submit two letters of recommendation to CASPA. One letter of recommendation must be from a medical provider such as a physician assistant, nurse practitioner or physician.
- Be able to comply with TUN’s required Technical Standards, which includes the physical abilities necessary to perform as a physician assistant.
- Hold a U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status at the time of application.
- No credit will be given for prior education or work experience.
- There is no advanced placement.
- The program does not accept transfer students.
- Foreign medical graduates must have their transcripts evaluated to determine the United States educational credit or equivalency prior to applying. Foreign medical graduates must still complete the required pre-requisites within the past five years.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To help in learning about the admissions process, applicants are encouraged to read the TUN Physician Assistant Studies Frequently Asked Question 2015-2016.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Students must submit their primary application through the Centralized Application System for Physician Assistant (CASPA). Students must select Touro University Nevada.
2. The deadline for the 2015-2016 CASPA application is September 1, 2015. The deadline for the supplemental application is September 15, 2015.
3. For best consideration, applicants should submit their CASPA and TUN application at least eight weeks prior to the deadlines. Due to the high number of applicants to the program, we utilize rolling admissions. It is possible that all interview slots will be filled prior to the CASPA deadline. Once we have filled all our positions for the cohort, we will conclude the review of PA applications. Plan accordingly.
4. Rolling admissions signifies that applications are reviewed as they arrive through the Centralized Application System and/or Touro University Nevada admissions application. The committee review selection begins after applications are verified and will continue until all the accepted positions are filled. Once the accepted positions are filled and the waitlist is maximized, the application review will end for the cycle. This may take place well before the stated deadline(s) due to the volume of applications that are received each year. To receive the best consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
5. After review of your CASPA application, eligible candidates will be invited by the Admissions Committee to:
- Complete a supplemental admissions application. The Office of Admissions will only review applications for students who are eligible for a secondary application.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $50 in check or money order made out Touro University Nevada. Students can also pay online with a credit card. If you were not invited to submit this application, your application fee will not be refunded.
- Sign and submit the PA Technical Standards for the Physician Assistant Studies program.
- Mail all supporting documents to:
Touro University Nevada
Office of Admissions
Attn: Physician Assistant Studies Program
874 American Pacific Drive
Henderson, NV 89014
6. Students can email the admissions office or call (702) 777-1750 to verify supporting documents have been received.
7. Upon receipt of all admissions documents, the PA program will review and determine which candidates will be invited for a personal campus interview.
8. Interviews will begin in August and will conclude in November. Please keep in mind that the early applicants will receive priority for selection of interviews. Applicants selected for an on-campus interview will be contacted by telephone and/or email to schedule the interview. The applicant will be given pertinent information about the schedule of events for the interview day. There will be 62 students admitted for the July 2016 cohort.
9. Students who are successfully admitted must:
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended (includes undergraduate and graduate).
- Submit immunizations prior to matriculation including health and physical examinations.
- Pass a Level I criminal background check.
- Have proof of health insurance coverage.
- Submit the $1,000 deposit by the required date.
- Purchase a laptop directly from Touro.